Sunday, February 22, 2009

inspiration for garden projects at Lizard Loop

My gardening background is brief enough. I was raised (semi-nomadically) in both New York City and various spots in central Florida. I have always loved the idea of gardens, self sufficiency, and all things pastoral, but believed that I had an inherent lack of skill in handling the plant friends I love so much.

During my early adulthood, I lived in a house with a big yard, dozens of climbing rosebushes older than my husband and I combined, and ample space for new projects. But none of them seemed to take hold. For example, I tried planting a bougainvillea in a sunny spot, and even now, 6 years later, it still hasn't grown a bit.

Years passed and I left. My new home, an apartment/townhouse, came with a little slip of yard in both the front and back, but there was hardly any soil at all! Oak tree roots, sand, and gravel seemed to be the predominant ingredients in the mixture. I decided to try my hand at composting in the fall so we could have some soil on hand for potting little herbs or houseplants. My roommate suggested it, and since I do cook a lot it seemed like a good way to not waste our food scraps.

It turned out exponentially better than I thought it would be. The compost took off with a fervor and started to host new life, seedlings from our favorite foods. And, after years of playing thrifty-housewife, I saw amazing potential in my new project. Was there EVER anything more practical than a magic spot that absorbs what you can't use and gives back something you can use?

No comments:

Post a Comment