Sunday, November 1, 2009

eating local

Have you ever had veggies right out of the garden? No long trip in a truck, no refrigeration, no sitting in a grocery store, no languishing in the veggie crisper, no being overcooked. Just a quick rinse and then crunch.
Picking my veggies is so rewarding. It reminds me of my grandfather who had an amazing garden on his ranch in the Texas hill country. He had rows of pole beans that towered over my eight year old head. When it was time, we'd go down to the garden pick tomatoes, beans, okra, inspect the pecan trees, feed the cows. He had a ranch hand, but he still liked to do these chores himself. He was like that.
The smell of tomatoe vines, bean leaves makes me eight again, marveling at the plants Granddaddy had grown, taking three steps to match his long stride.

1 comment:

  1. Daddy grew awesome okra, too. And he canned his own beans and made the best pear preservesI've ever tasted! He never did give me his secret recipe. It's just as well - part of the yummy taste was the fact that he had put them up himsself! That made them really special!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete